Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cookies for the Roofers

I have been baking cookies.  However, I have not had much time to blog about baking them so I will try to catch up now.  I did bake two more recipes from the Great American Cookie Cookbook.  My baking day was last Wednesday, September 21st.  The cookies I baked were Brian's Buffalo Cookies and Peanut Chip Cookies, both recipes on page 14.  It was a good day to bake because I had our contractor Vaughn and 3 of his crew here putting a new roof on our home.  A storm about 2 weeks ago did a good job of ripping off quite a few of the shingles and doing a bit of damage.  The reason it was a good day to bake was because of all the pounding and hammering that was going on....sure not an ideal afternoon to take a quiet nap.  I also knew that my 4 roofers would probably enjoy some fresh cookies for their afternoon break, and they did, fresh and warm right out of the oven.  Brian's Buffalo Cookies were delicious.  They contained chocolate chips, chopped pecans, flake coconut, oatmeal and corn flakes.  I found that to be an interesting combination of ingredients, but it worked to make a very delicious and crunchy cookie.  The Peanut Chip Cookies were really just peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips.  This recipe also had rolled oats in it.  It is interesting as I look through the other recipes in the cookbook to note just how many recipes use rolled oats.  I think I may need to mix it up a bit and make recipes that do not use rolled oats every time I bake.  I would suspect that otherwise all the cookies may begin to taste the same. Another reason why I decided to bake was that all 4 of my children were coming home for the weekend.  I wanted to make sure that I had a full container of cookies for them to take back to school/work with them.  It is interesting, I am starting to get more request for particular cookies.  I've had several request to make more of the Ginger Snaps from page 12.  I have explain to them that I don't do request and I don't go back and remake a recipe that I previously made...not until I am finished with the book.  My husband is doing a good job of watching for chocolate chips, sugar, flour, etc. to be on sale and he is keeping me well supplied for all my cookie baking adventures.  The only problem that I have is that when he is around when I am baking, he is doing way too much in the area of quality control and taste testing.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I wish I was one of the roofers so I can also taste your crunchy and delicious cookies. Aside from being yummy, I'm sure the cookie also gave the roofers that extra boost of energy to finish the job on your roof. I bet they did a great job on your roof because of the cookies, didn't they? =)


    Alejamuel Sultz

    ReplyDelete